Monday, April 12, 2010

ART APPRECIATION WEEK

I'll be writing on Kick-Ass and the possible implications and so on, after I get a chance to see the film this weekend.

During the week I will be spotlighting some real life artists working on projects involving the RLSH.

Before there was Kick-Ass, there was Mystery Men, and today I am featuring an interview I did with Mystery Men creator Bob Burden.

It was quite a thrill for me to talk to him. In high school, my cool friends introduced me to a lot of direct sale/ alternative titles like Tank Girl, Cerebus, and Megaton Man. My favorite, though, was Burden's surreal superhero Flaming Carrot. The Mystery Men first appeared in the pages of Flaming Carrot and later starred in a 1999 movie.

I have three other confirmed guests for the week, and a couple others I hope pull through at the last moment. These guests I will be able to do features on for sure are comic artist Amber Gant, documentary maker Adair Cole, and Peter Tangen, who is working on a large scale photography show.

All three have been putting a lot of work into their projects for a long time, so I am very glad I can give you a small preview of their work here so you can get a sense of what angle their work is coming from.

1 comment:

  1. Nerd Moment in 3... 2... 1... Dude. Tank Girl. Fuck yeah. If I ever could get an interview with Jamie Hewlett I'd probably wouldn't even be a villain anymore as my life would be complete at that point. Still, the rest of them folks sound like interesting people to chat with.

    ReplyDelete